To be successful in hospitality industry, one must have more than just a good knowledge about this sector. One needs to develop time management, customer management, excellent communication, interpersonal and research skills. A good hotel manager always keeps a close eye on each and every aspect of the business, ranging from kitchen to services, maintenance, cleaning and front desk services etc.
Customer service with a smile is the aim of the hospitality sector and those who love to serve others, career in hotel management is the best option for them. For a successful career in hospitality, one should go for a degree or diploma course from public or private hotel management colleges in India. WelcomGroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration, Hotel and Catering Management Institute Chandigarh, Lakshya Bhartee Institute of International Hotel Management (LBIIHM) Delhi and Rizvi College of Hotel and Tourism Management Studies are some of the top private institutes offering hotel management courses. These institutes focus on emphasizing professional skills in the learners to develop their overall personality.
What do you need for a successful career in hospitality?
There are tremendous job opportunities in this sector across the globe for the successful candidates. This has led to high demand of hotel management professionals in India. Every industry has its own requirements from the employees working in that particular field. Hotel management requires a pleasing personality, good knowledge about industry, numerical aptitude and reasoning skills in the applicants. There is no shortcut for a successful career and the industry demands qualified and trained professionals. Here are some tips for a successful career in hotel management:
- Go for a quality hotel management education: Pursue a degree, diploma or certification program from a leading institute. It is not always easy for an aspirant to get admission in Govt. institutes. Private hotel management colleges in India are offering best courses as per the industry standards to the learners. Studying in the best institution instills essential knowledge and skills in the candidates about the industry that will help them in getting ample of job opportunities. Hotel management education makes students capable to face the emerging challenges of the industry.
- Practical experience: Practical experience is must to gain knowledge and face challenges of the industry. Always choose the course that incorporates internship program and offers industry exposure opportunities to the applicants. Top private hotel management colleges in India offer non-paid internships. These internship programs are helpful in building a successful career of the students.
- Be open to accept various job opportunities: Hotel management is a field where one can easily find ample of job opportunities, right from the office management to housekeeping and food to beverages management. One can easily expand one’s experience level by accepting versatile job opportunities.
An MBA/PGDM program from one of the top ten business schools in India is bound to provide you a kick start in your career. A management program from one of the top institutes will put you at par with the international business management graduates. Anna University – Chennai, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade – New Delhi, Fore School of Management – New Delhi, Birla Institute of Management Technology – Greater Noida and Jindal School of Hotel Management – Vadodara are considered among the top ten business schools in India offering high quality management education to their candidates.
How to choose the best business school?
Some of the key features that you should look for in your desired business school in India are as follows:
- A good business school must be recognized by the government of India and its programs should be recognized in India and abroad.
- The business school should have all the majors and subjects that you are searching for.
- The faculty members of a business school should be well-trained and qualified to meet global standards of business management education. Top ten business schools in India usually sends their faculty members and professors to hob-knob with the international management faculties in order to share their best practices.
- Your desired business school should aim at the overall development of candidates which includes team spirit and leadership qualities in them.
- The infrastructure and environment of the business school should be positive and modern. It must be conducive to candidates at a high level.
- The library of your desired business school in India must be well-stocked with management books written by several national and international journals of repute. This will help the candidates to keep abreast with the latest happenings in the area of management at a global level.
Requisites for admission to top business schools in India
All business schools in India require the candidate to be a graduate in any area with minimum 50% marks in graduation. Top ten business schools in India also conduct an entrance exam or consider the results of examinations like MAT and CAT for allowing admission. These management entrance exams require a lot of skills and knowledge where both the aptitude and theoretical knowledge of the candidates is tested. Most candidates require some amount of guidance and extra effort to be able to crack these exams.
However, always keep in mind that due to the rewarding nature of business management education, several half-baked people have also established the so called management institutes in the country. And a management program from one of these will just be a waste of money and time as it will not be valued by a company within the country and abroad. This is one of the major reasons that you need to conduct a complete research before you select the right school in India for your studies in hotel management and in any other stream.
Best institute for hotel management offers the most advantageous career opportunities that not only provide best learning experience to the students but good remuneration packages also. Hotel management program helps in making the candidates aware of the basic functionalities of a hotel and also how to run and manage it. This program has another major benefit of getting the opportunity to meet different kinds of people, like well-known players, celebrities, novelists, entrepreneurs etc. Candidates having a degree in hotel management need not stick only to the hotel industry, but they also have multitude of opportunities in the hospitality as well as aviation industry.
There are well known hotel management institutes in India offering the best environment and education to the candidates and prepare them for a promising career in this industry. Top 5 institutes for Hotel management in India include:
- SRM Institute of Hotel Management, Chennai
- Institute of Hotel Management, Gujarat
- International Institute of Hotel Management, Kolkata
- Institute of Hotel Management, Gwalior
- Ecole Hoteliere At Lavasa, Pune
Things to consider while selecting the top hotel management colleges
The hotel management industry has grown quite rapidly and created millions of job opportunities. There are several best hotel management institutes in India and every top hotel management school offers a unique set of opportunities. These top institutes teach their candidates various tactics to enhance their raw skills. But before finalizing the college, some key things must be considered. These are as follows:
- Accreditation – Every hotel institute should be officially certified by a regulatory authority. Recruiters only value institutes with all the essential accreditations and they judge the student’s merit accordingly. Best institute for hotel management in India has usually all the necessary accreditations, making its hotel management programs globally recognized.
- Quality of professors – To make sure you are getting the best possible hotel management studies, you need to study from the highly qualified and educated professors that not only have experience in teaching, but also real world skills. The faculties associated with top colleges in India are well qualified with experience from top hotels around the world. These top faculties offer their best to enhance the skills of candidates.
- Placement record – Placements are the most crucial thing because at the end of the hotel management program, the student wants to walk out with a job. So, pick a college which has an impressive placement record. Best institute for hotel management in India educates and trains candidates well enough so that they can get placement on merit basis.
Study abroad opportunities – Studying abroad is a unique opportunity that only a small fraction of candidates get to experience. If you desire to study abroad, always consider how many study abroad courses are offered at your desired school. Top hotel management schools in India make it easy for candidates to study internationally by allowing them to transfer credits.
Hotel industry is one of the few prospective fields that are never affected with the outcome of recession. People go to hotels to celebrate their unique occasions with their near and dear ones. There are several top hotel management colleges in Gujarat offering high quality education to the candidates so that they can get a potential career opportunity. The faculty associated with these top colleges in Gujarat are highly qualified and experienced, who always help the candidates to get success in their career. The course structure of best hotel Management institute in Gujarat contains theoretical as well as practical exposure that helps the candidates to get an idea about the industry before actually getting placement
Why go for hotel management program
A hotel management course helps in learning the responsibilities and duties of serving in the hospitality and hotel industry. A hotel management program is generally a business oriented course that largely depends on the general economy of a country. This course from best hotel Management institute in Gujarat helps to understand the preparation method of numerous different types of international as well as Indian cuisines. The course also helps to understand various food habits of people residing in different geographical locations. This training also provides you the knowledge of how to offer hospitality and how to serve people in the hotel industry.
A hotel management program enhances your skills and etiquettes to serve and meet people as per their demands, which also add to your versatility. There are several benefits of doing hotel management. This industry offers plenty of opportunities for career advancement. It is fast growing and dynamic industry, which provides you challenges to learn and grow.
Employment and career opportunities
Candidates with a degree or diploma in hotel management can usually work in different capacities in numerous segments of this industry. Career in hotel management, if pursued from top hotel management institutes in Gujarat, ranges from being a consultant and entrepreneur to work on several managerial posts such as chef or in housekeeping or administration. Companies, industries and organizations that offer employment opportunities after completing the hotel management course include:
- Entertainment industry
- Casinos, hotels and resorts
- Fast food chains
- Catering services
- Airlines industry and cruise ships
- Sales, marketing and revenue management sector of hospitality management
- Event management companies
- Retail sector
- Travel and tourism industry
- Colleges and universities offering education in hospitality and hotel management
- Golf course management sector
JSHM is the best hotel management institute in Gujarat offering a number of hotel management programs. With its national and international placements, international study tour options, modern laboratories and best teaching methods in the country, option of completing third year in Switzerland, world class infrastructure and vibrant campus life, the institute has become one of the best places to pursue hospitality and hotel related programs.
If you have great passion to explore and ready to take up everyday challenges and work in high pressure zones, a career in hotel management could be a good idea for you. This industry has seen a tremendous boom in the past few years. With partying and eating out becoming a habit of people, there are multiple job opportunities in hotel management and depending upon the candidate’s education, work experience, these positions are offered to them.
Hotel Management course outlook
With more and more hotel management institutes coming up each day in the country, it has become very difficult to find some of the top colleges for hotel management out of them. All the programs offered by the top institutes are designed in such a way that the students can develop essential skills and expertise, and achieve proper knowledge of their field of study. Usually, the course content consists of various subjects including advanced accounts, personal & industrial law, advanced bakery & confectionery, front office management, food production management, travel & tourism management, housekeeping & laundry operations, total quality management, food & beverage service, safety & first-aid, food science & nutrition, food, catering & beverage management, hotel economics and so on.
Here are some Top Hotel Management colleges in Delhi providing hotel management courses:
- Institute of Hotel Management
- Delhi Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology
- Abhi Institute of Hotel Management
- Academy for Hotel Management
- American Hospitality Academy
Career in Hotel Management
Hotel management or the tourism sector is one which includes Immigration services, travel agencies and tour operators, Government tourism departments, airlines and railway reservations services, etc. Hotel management or hospitality is set to be the next big thing in India, with the flourishing tourism sector and the increasing spending power of Indian middle class. Demand for hotel management professionals exists at many places like hotels, resorts, casinos and clubs, catering firms, spas, restaurants, fast food chains, guest houses etc. Attractive salaries and high job opportunities are making this sector more lucrative. Another attraction of this sector is that one can find employment anywhere in the world with a minimum academic qualification.
Eligibility to pursue a career in hotel management:
- The student who has successfully completed 10+2 is eligible and can pursue a degree, diploma, or a certificate course in the field.
- If you have completed your graduation then you will be eligible for the post graduate program in hotel management.
A student who has earned a degree or diploma in hotel management can work in various sectors like Club Management, Hotels and Restaurants, Airline Catering and cabin services, Hospital Administration and Catering, Cruise Ship Hotel Management, Forest Lodges, Guest Houses, Hotel & Catering Institutes, Catering Departments-shipping Companies, Banks, Armed Forces, Hotel & Tourism Associations, etc.